Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Does thyroid mis-function cause nail discoloration?

I have noticed discoloration of my nails on my fingers (almost all of them) have some sort of streaks and some form of semi dark lines. It seems to have started after Sub Acute Thyroiditis 2 years ago. Even though my thyroid fuction seems to have retruned to normal but these discolorations on my nails remain. Can you comment on this issue please. My dermotologist says that it is conclusive that it is related to my thyroid misfunction and unfortunately there is nothing he can do or subscribe to make it better.Does thyroid mis-function cause nail discoloration?
Yes-I suffer from nail discoloration due to hypo-thyroidism myself and I found that zinc and calcium supplements have almost made them disappear : )Does thyroid mis-function cause nail discoloration?
Here are a few options. one - try soaking your nails in bleach for about 1 min. do that for one min, every day. for one week.





also if you paint your fingernails, all the time..... the lack of oxygen can discolor them . it happened to me. i had to keep the pain off for about 2 weeks and then i learned of the bleach when it happened to one of my fingernails. it works. i dont think thyroid problems will do that. my mom has a thyroid problem , and she said it your thyroid doesnt have anything to do with her nails.
I have hypothyroidism (reduced thyroid function), specifically Hashimoto's (my body is slowly destroying my thyroid gland) diagnosed 3 years ago. I've been taking replacement thyroid medication (Synthroid or Levathroid) for as long as well.





I haven't had any type of nail discoloration because of the thryoid condition.





Are the lines side-to-side on your nail or going from the cuticle to the tip? If they're side-to-side, that generally indiciates some temporary damage to the nail bed (stress, poor diet, physical damage) and should eventually grow out. ';White clouds'; are common. If they are cuticle to tip, then it sounds like something more permanent is happening with your nail bed and nail production. Have you noticed a change in your toe nails? Or your hair? That may be an indication of a significant mineral deficiency - either in your diet or the way your body processes/stores/uses calcium or some thing else.





It may be worth your peace-of-mind to consult an endocrinologist and find out if it could be a side effect of the subacute thyroiditis or other thyroid condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment